Sunday, May 5, 2013

Warbreaker


Hello!
               Trying to get my page count up for AP Language and Composition has been a recurring theme for my Sunday afternoons as of late. Not really, but still, introductions are hard to write, so you’ve got to live with it. This blog post is going to be about a book that I’ve read, though. It’s called Warbreaker, by Brandon Sanderson.
               The book starts off confusing, and doesn’t get much better throughout the course of the 400-odd pages. I understand that in many books it is necessary to allude to things you don’t understand in order to keep the audiences’ attention. In this book, however, it is way over-the-top and it makes the book read very poorly. I’m not a big fan of how convoluted the storyline was, as well as how it was told from the point of no less than three characters.
               The next thing that I’ve always loved about many fantasy books is that the author often creates an entire new universe, complete with currency, systems of government, and occasionally magic. Sanderson tries to do that in this novel, but it comes off as cliché and poorly done.
               The one thing that I think the author does very well in Warbreaker was the character development. I’ve always loved the characters in all of Sanderson’s books, and this one was no different. He did a wonderful job in making you understand the characters and want to be a part of their story.
               Overall, I was really disappointed in Warbreaker, I expected a lot better. Many of Sanderson’s other books are far better, especially The Way of Kings. That’s why it makes me sad when I read garbage like Warbreaker. I’d give it a solid 4 out of 10, but only because I really like some of the characters. Anyways, go read it, or not, I don’t care. (306)

No comments:

Post a Comment