Sunday, September 23, 2012

Aw yeah, marching band, yeah.

Hello!
               In this post I’m going to review the movie “Drumline”, which came out in 2002 and was directed by Charles Stone III. I never saw this movie before a few minutes ago, but since I’m in a marching band myself, a few friends recommended it to me.
               So, if you could not guess by the title, the movie is about a Drumline, specifically Atlanta A&T’s marching band’s drumline. The main character is named Devon, a poor boy from Harlem who wouldn’t have had a shot at a college education unless he had been recruited by the band’s director.
               Although there is a lot of drama that goes on between Devon and the leader of his section, as well as a bit of romance between him and a member of the dance team, the main plotline of the story is the rivalry between the bands of two schools, which all comes down to the wire at the final competition.
               Seeing it for the first time without knowing what to expect from it, I loved it. It makes me want to learn how to play the snare because of all the crazy stuff they did with the drums. I really liked the characters, because they were given a massive amount of depth for this kind of a movie. I also really liked the movie as a whole because although it had good morals, it didn’t come off as a preachy movie, which was good. And maybe it’s just because I’m a nerd, but the whole marching band thing was pretty awesome, too.
               There was one major thing that I really didn’t like about “Drumline”, and that was that it seemed like a major spin-off of “Rocky.” I mean, minority gets hit hard, but gets back up and makes his way to the top, that seems pretty cliché and over-used to me.
               But overall, I really, really liked “Drumline.” The characters and plot were great, even if a little bit clichéd. I would give this movie a solid 8 out of 10 stars.
Thanks for reading!
Matt Finley

No comments:

Post a Comment