Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cheerios and Happiness


Hello!
               Today I was browsing the aisles of Barnes and Noble, drinking a caramel mocha from the Starbucks inside. I was in search of a birthday present for my father, brother, and sister, all who have their birthdays within a week of each other. Makes shopping pretty convenient, in my opinion. So after over an hour hunting down a few good-looking titles, I had found what I wanted. I went up to the front with an armload of books to buy, and stood in line for almost 20 minutes before I was the next up. As I was pulling out my wallet to pay, an older lady ran up to me and handed me a 20% off coupon, telling me that she didn’t need it but I looked like it could be useful. I had never met this woman before in my life, and she left before I could ask who she was. But I got my 20% off, and don’t regret it. A month ago a friend of mine broke down a block from his house, which is in a bad part of town. In the process of calling Triple-A he was approached by a couple of high school kids who helped him push his car to his house so he wouldn’t have to pay for getting towed a block.
               It’s random acts of kindness like these that bring a real smile to my face. I mean, think about it. It doesn’t really take much to make people happy, so why not try? For all you know, that person who just dropped all their books in the middle of the hallway are having an awful day. Helping them pick their stuff up might just make it that much better. Then, thinking of the act of kindness you showed them, they might pass it on, and then it gets passed on again, and again, and again, forever.
               So I challenge you! Tomorrow, or the next day, do a good deed. Help someone out that you don’t know, have never met, would never have met otherwise. Even something as simple as saying “hello” could make someone a little happier. And then when you’re having an awful day, someone might do something to make you a little happier. Life’s a circle, and happiness just goes ‘round and ‘round. Like the cheerios commercial. Go watch it. I command it.
Thanks for reading!
Matthew Finley

No comments:

Post a Comment