Sunday, January 20, 2013

Skyfall


Hello!
               So this post is going to be a review of the recent release, “Skyfall.” The movie is the most recent James Bond, featuring Daniel Craig as Bond. I saw it yesterday, weeks after it was first released, so I’d heard quite a bit about it before walking into the theater. To say the least, I could not have been more pleased.
               I’ll start by addressing one of the critiques that I’d heard about the movie. A few people I’d talked to said that they hated the title track, “Skyfall” by Adele. I’ve no idea what they’re talking about, because I thought it fit perfectly. It’s a song that has a mixture of everything, and its various elements are definitely repeated and embodied throughout the film.
               So after the title track, it kept getting better and better. There’s action. There’s adventure. There’s women. There’s guns. There’s explosions. There’s one-liners that would leave Arnold at a loss for words. In short, it’s an epic film. If you haven’t seen it, get your butt to the theater before you even finish reading this.
               Daniel Craig has once again played a wonderfully good Bond. In my opinion Sean Connery was the best of them, but Craig comes in as a best second by a long run. He’s what some might call “rugged,” which is different from the usual suavity that most Bonds have.
               Having a different Bond might call for a difference in plots from the earlier movies. A trend I’ve noticed with all of Craig’s movies are that they’ve gotten a lot more complex from the original Bond movies. Instead of the standard plot, with Bond falling for a woman and then having to choose between said woman and the fate of the world, or Britain, or what-have-you, it’s been changed up. Now old friends are brought in, and he has to deal with his aging self and companions, as well as some new players in the game. Then there’s the woman, as well as his country. But the plot twists leave you on the edge of your seat as Bond dodges bullets and crashes cars and walks calmly away from explosions (Because cool guys don’t look at explosions, they make things go boom and then they walk away).
               I’d give “Skyfall” a solid 9.5/10  because I really didn’t see too many things wrong with it. Actually, looking back on the film, I really couldn’t find anything wrong with it. So go watch it. Chop chop.
Thanks for reading
Matt Finley

No comments:

Post a Comment