Sunday, January 13, 2013

Logical Fallacies - All Day Every Day


Hello!
               So today is Sunday, and I’m supposed to be starting my 1200 words of blogging for this week. Well, I suppose I’m supposed to be finishing them, but we’re going to throw an argument from tradition out there and say that it’s now a trend for me to both begin and end my blogging for the week on a Sunday. Anyways, as I sat down at my little laptop to do my writing, I realized that I have absolutely nothing to blog about. So instead of ranting about my life, or making lists of things I dislike, or talking about the weather, or whatever else it is I do when I don’t have “real” topics to talk about, I’m going to talk about school.
               Madness, you say? Yes, this is madness – or is it Sparta? I never talk about school, because I figure those people that actually read this blog are going to be students in either my AP Language and Composition class or the students from our neighboring classrooms. Therefore, repeating information that I get from the classroom would be both boring and redundant. Regardless, I’m going to talk about some logical fallacies, because I thought that they were pretty interesting, and I definitely use them enough in everyday life without realizing it.
               There are a lot of fallacies that we’ve learned about in our class, but a lot of them are really just common sense. I mean, when you hear a slippery slope argument, it’s pretty obvious. “If you have sex you will get pregnant and you will die.” Definitely a legitimate argument right there. Another fallacy that seems like common sense is post hoc.  It says that since ‘A’ occurs before ‘B,’ ‘A’ is also the cause of ‘B.’ An example of this is “I ate a cheeseburger. Then my house exploded, my cat died, and my girlfriend left me. I will never eat a cheeseburger again because it must have caused all of these terrible things.” These are some pretty obvious logical fallacies that most people can spot right away.
               A lot of fallacies get used in conversation every day that my eyes have recently been opened to. One common example of this that I see is argument from tradition. This means that since ‘A’ happens frequently, it must be good and should continue to happen. You hear this all the time from us teenagers. For example, “I haven’t done my homework at all this week and nothing’s happened to me yet. I should probably continue to not do my homework.” That’s a more obvious example of the fallacy, but here’s one that I’ve actually seen used: “We’ve always had the dance in the cafeteria before, having it in the gym would be a bad idea.” Something else that we see a lot during election season is a combination of “straw man” and “argument ad hominem.” The fallacy “straw man” is a rhetorical device that draws the attention away from the topic at hand. For example, when a politician is asked a question about his future policies on the economy and he responds with a long-winded story about his time in the Army.  The argument ad hominem fallacy means “argument to the man.” That’s when you attack your opponents character during a debate, instead of what he actually says. So during debates between politicians the two people might be talking about economy when politician ‘A’ attacks ‘B’ by saying “Oh, but during high school you smoked marijuana, and you cheated on your first wife!”  That’s not a valid argument.
               So that’s just a few examples of some logical fallacies that we see a lot in our everyday lives. Honestly, I was pretty surprised by a few of them that we learned about. They’re things that you see all the time, and I guess I didn’t think that they were really fallacies. I guess I’ll still probably use them when I talk, but only because it’s a habit. I mean, I’ve used them this far and nothing’s gone wrong for me, so they must be okay. Totally not an appeal to tradition there. It’s interesting though, just try and go an entire day being really conscious of the arguments that you and your friends make, and see if you can point out some logical fallacies in them. You might find that you make more than you’d think.
Thanks for reading
Matt Finley

No comments:

Post a Comment