Sunday, April 28, 2013

Fishing!


Hello!
               This post is going to be all about fishing. Shout out to Sam for hitting me up with this topic. As the weather gets warmer, and it gets more tolerable for people to be outside, I’ve started fishing again. I made it a tradition last summer to go fishing almost every week, at least once. Unfortunately, during the last summer I didn’t catch a single fish. Not a one. It was awful. I went for weeks, enduring sunburn and poison ivy in order to catch a fish. And I never did. It was very possibly the most disappointing event of the summer. This summer will be different, though, I’m sure.
               Fishing is an epic sport, one of the best varieties. It’s man against beast, and it’s a vicious competition. You have to spend hours tying knots and baiting hooks in order to get out at 5 in the morning just to suffer failure when you don’t catch anything. Then you, the outdoorsman, are required to curse the fish into the darkest depths of hell. Because that’s the way that games are played.
               It’s also not really just a game of sport, it’s a game of wits. To be a really good fisherman you have to have the mindset of the ancient fishermen of yore. You have to be the fish, swimming amongst the shallows. But you also have to be outsmarting the fish, too. You have to know where it’s going to be before it’s there.
               Perhaps it’s my lack of these skills that causes me to be a poor fisherman. Or perhaps it’s because it really takes a completely different set of skills all together. Either way, fishing is actually pretty awesome. It’s really actually very relaxing. You can just chill and enjoy the changing weather as you stare into space for a while. Although it’s not the most active or involving sport, I still enjoy it quite a bit.
               So my goal for this year is to catch a hundred thousand fish, none of them smaller than eight inches. If that doesn’t turn out I guess I can settle for two fish, one of them bigger than eight inches. If all else fails, I’ll probably resort to changing my summer activity to hunting or something. Because god knows that can’t be more difficult, right? Either way, have a great day. This is Matt, and I’m out. PEACE! (400) 

1 comment: