Sunday, December 9, 2012

OM NOM NOM


Hello!
               So as the year goes on, I can definitely tell it’s starting to be winter. The days are getting shorter, the air is getting colder, and this morning we had a few minutes of slushy crap that I suppose could be called snow. Although it has a lot of downsides – I really, really, REALLY hate shoveling snow, for example – one of my favorite parts of the holiday seasons is the food. I’m not a chef of any caliber, but my mother cooks the best stuff I’ve ever had. Fudge is a holiday staple at my house. I swear, my mom makes at least 20 different kind. Chocolate Orange, Plain Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Peppermint – You name a flavor of fudge and I’ve probably had it made for me.  Another piece of kitchen witchery that she creates is little round pretzel things, with a Hershey’s Kiss melted on top, and then an M&M  pressed into that, then allowed to cool. They taste wonderful, and I could eat them all day. Another of my favorite things around the holidays is the food for Christmas itself. My family doesn’t have any relatives that live anywhere near Iowa, but we cook a big meal all the same. So I hope this sounded pretty good, ‘cause here’s some recipes, yo.

               Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Things:
Ingredients
-Pretzel Sticks
-Chocolate for melting
-Sprinkles
Directions
               Take your pretzel sticks. Dip them in the melted chocolate. Roll them in sprinkles. Eat them. Victory.

               Chocolate M&M Pretzel Things
Ingredients
               -Circular Pretzels
               -Hershey’s Kisses or Rolos or whatever chocolate you want
               -M&Ms
Directions
               Put a ton of pretzel circles down on a piece of wax paper that’s on a cookie sheet. Then place the Hershey’s Kisses down on top of these, facing up. Pop them in the oven for three or four minutes, just until the chocolate gets soft. Then take it out and carefully press an M&M down onto the top of each of these things. Pop the whole mess into the fridge, or in this weather just put them outside until they cool down. Then eat. Enjoy. Win.
              
Chocolate Fudge:
Ain’t nobody got time fo’ that!

               But really. Go ham this holiday season, pun intended. Food’s awesome. Your friends/parents/significant others will appreciate it very much. And even if they’re Grinches and hate food, which is an odd combination, at least it’ll give you something to do this holiday season.
Thanks for reading,
Matt Finley

1 comment:

  1. Those were delicious, so thanks for sharing your recipes/method of doing them. You didn't happen to hurt yourself when making them though, did you?

    ReplyDelete