Sunday, December 23, 2012

Post-Apocalypse


Hello!
               Up until a few days ago everyone was talking about the newest upcoming event. Unfortunately it wasn’t some awesome party or stupid school dance or anything like that, but it was the end of the world. Some Mayan dude way back when either died or decided that someone else could finish his calendar, so he put down his chisel and went  out to party with his friends. This meant that he got to have fun, but it meant that we also have to deal with it now, with long-bearded people wearing cardboard “The End Draws Near” signs wherever they go. It does bring up a few interesting points, though.
               Firstly, if the world was going to end, how would you spend your last few days/hours/minutes? Would you suddenly find God if you hadn’t already? Would you spend the rest of your earthly minutes in the arms of family and friends or would you spend it doing those things you’d always wished you’d done? Personally, if I was actually convinced that the end of the world was coming I’d probably do a mixture of all these things. I’d spend some time in the arms of the people I love, because in my opinion family matters more than most things (No matter how dysfunctional your family may be). But I’d also probably loot, break stuff, and engage in all other possible forms of debauchery. I mean, why not? Mankind loves to break things, it’s in our nature. So I’ll succumb to the animal side of that nature for a while and beat the snot out of something with a sledgehammer.
               Secondly, if the world was sure to end, would you regret anything? It sucks to live with regrets, but to die with them would be even worse, in my opinion. To never have made peace with the ghosts in your past, or the skeletons in your closet seems like a waste to me. So would I live with regrets? Probably. I would regret that I wasn’t the best son I could be. I would regret that I wasn’t the best friend, and that I could have done better. I would regret the time I wasted, no matter how much fun I had. I would regret not being able to serve my country, and to help people from other countries. I would regret my inability to say I fathered a family and went to all my son/daughter’s school functions, etc. To be honest, there’s not too much I’ve done in my sixteen years that I’d constitute as living a full life. So I guess I’d regret that too.
               Alas, it’s the 23rd and the world hasn’t ended yet. We didn’t all die in some fiery holocaust, we’re still here. I still get to live my life, and I think everyone should take that to heart. Although we were never in any real danger, maybe reflecting on what you’ve done and what you still have to do would make you a tad bit better as a person. At the very least, go hug your mother/father/sister/brother/other sibling. I’m sure they’d appreciate it. At any rate, bad news Mayans, but maybe next year.

1 comment: