Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Hobbit Results


Hello!
               So a few days ago I was talking about my plans to go to The Hobbit’s midnight release. I did end up going, and had some points that I wanted to talk about. 
               First, the “pro” parts. I have always enjoyed going to the midnight releases of movies, because it’s just so much more fun. Firstly, you get to stay up all night, and for those of us who are teenagers, that’s pretty legit. Secondly, you get to hang out with your friends that are going to the midnight release. Thirdly, you get to hang out with all of the cool, nerdy people that are fans enough of a certain movie/franchise that they’ll show up to the midnight release (Example: Guy who was dressed up in full chainmail for this particular release of The Hobbit.). Now some things about this specific release that I liked was the lack of a line. At the theater I went to they didn’t have people line up, they just sent them directly into the theater. This was really nice, because since they sold out three showings of the film, I didn’t have to wait in line with close to 500 other people.
               Those are just the things that I really enjoy about midnight releases in general, plus a few things about The Hobbit’s. But the movie itself was pretty good as well. I won’t spoil too much of it, but I’m going to make a big point of giving a big thumbs up to the soundtrack.  The soundtrack for the Lord of the Rings trilogy was high and brassy. It fit the movies very well, though. There was a lot of action and it was intended to be very epic, and you’d really have to watch the movies to get what I’m trying to say. Now since The Hobbit was produced by the same dude that did the LotR trilogy, I assumed the soundtrack would be the same, or at least very similar. My mind was blown when I heard the main theme for the movie. It fits way better than the trilogy’s would have. It’s more low and throaty than the trilogy’s, as well. To hear it, look up the trailer on Youtube, and watch through the whole thing. All-around, it was a pretty good movie as a whole, although I did have a few complaints about it.
               One of my complaints would have to be the length. I mean, I really do not want to sit through a three hour movie, even though it’s The Hobbit. A lot of the stuff could have been condensed or left out, as well. And another gripe about it is that this is the first of at least two, but possibly three movies. Because they would all be about the same length, it seems like they’re just milking this cow for as much as it’s worth, instead of putting real effort into it. I mean, the Lord of the Rings books were two or three times the size of The Hobbit, and there were three of them. Another complaint of mine is that they didn’t adapt to the growth of the audience very well. Although the book was written for children, the kids that read it “back in the day” are now in their late teens or early twenties. So this movie seems to be tooled more towards younger kids, with many elements of it that are far more fanciful than the trilogy films.
               Aside from these few complaints, though, The Hobbit was definitely a two-thumbs-up movie. I really enjoyed it for the most part, and will probably see it again on the big screen. To those of you who are unsure of whether you want to see it or not, I’d definitely recommend it.
Thanks for reading
Matt Finley

No comments:

Post a Comment